8.09.2010

proud citizen.

Can't believe it's Monday. And, can't believe the weekend is already over! Let me just bring you up to speed.
Friday- I had every intention of paying some wonderful Atl friends [from LeeU] a visit.  Of course, at the last possible moment, my cousin Abby called and insisted on paying me a visit instead. [abby's brother lives in town, so I wasn't the sole reason for her visit.  and she was accompanied by the gparents and aunt/uncle].
So began the weekend of family time.

Aside from family weekend- I worked hard on some pieces for the new home. Remember the quaint home I visited a few weeks ago to pick up my CraigsList purchases?  Well, here is the ottoman they threw in.

All it needed was a little bit of TLC.  Mom and I found this awesome drapery fabric on sale at Hancock fabric.  Originally close to $20 a yard, we purchased it for about $6.  I bought enough to cover this piece with extra for something else in the room.  I enjoyed the fabric enough for it to be an inspiration/spring board for the rest of the designing [and it matches the two pink end tables I already painted].
Easy easy project!! With much satisfaction in the end...

Speaking of the house- I am sure you also remember it has not been the most predictable process.  Well I got word today that we should be able to close Wednesday [as in 2 days from now!].  Please, send up a prayer for me that all goes smoothly.  As patient as I am, there is only so much waiting this girl can do.
Which brings me to my last major event of this posted.  Today, I participated in my American duty to assists the court systems with my opinions on the fate of those in question AKA jury duty.  I reported bright and early [well, 9:45am] dressed in business casual attire [cute flowy skirt, v-neck t, and summer scarf] with my coffee cup in hand.  For some reason, waking up proved to be IMPOSSIBLE today...even with all the excitement of jury duty! [sadly enough, I am not being sarcastic].  Well, I was running a bit late, zipped into a parking spot and rushed in the doors.  They checked me for weapons and I had to pull out all electronics from my purse.  I asked the guard sweetly if he would take care of my phone.  He looked at me like an idiot as he said I was allowed to hold onto it. [who knew! i am here on official business! no place for cell phones and tweets- so i thought]. Guard directed me upstairs to a jury holding room, where they explained what would be expected of us and took role.  Yes, I was the last one to arrive.  From there, we waited...and waited as I listened to everyone around me complain about being there and missing "work".  How dare they- we are privileged citizens! The group was soon ushered into the courtroom where the judge swore us in and had us each introduce ourselves and share fun facts about our lives, much like the first day of school.  It was obvious that I was the only one in my phase of life.  And it quickly became evident that they did not value my opinion as much as the rest of the gang.  So, after a little background information on the case [which i would not have been a good candidate for anyway- my mind was already made up about the guy being tried], I was released from court.  As I shook the judges hand on my way out the door, I was proud to be a member of Columbia County.  Boy, I hope they call be back to be on a jury.  I am very opinionated.  And have a lot to offer.  
[true story- i tried to take pictures for you guys to no avail.  sorry.  you know how these things are]

1 comment:

  1. That judge didn't know what he/she was missing. I was going to steal that parking for jurors only sign I saw and everything! Next time, fc.. next time.

    ReplyDelete