10.12.2010

yes. i had a moment.

For those of you who follow me on Twitter [@SarahLoveB], you probably saw my tweet last night around 11:45pm and thought to yourself, bless her heart....
Well, you see, I managed to pull off a brainless moment [yet again]. I've been given the task of installing door knobs on the newly painted and hung doors.
It seems to be a simple enough task. And after I got the hang of it, it's quite empowering.  I pulled out all the required tools and went to work.


 The first step is to install the above part.  For some reason I want to call this a tongue.  So, I install the tongue.  [You can see the the knob hole and such is pre-done.] From there, you put the knob in place, connect one side to the other, and then install the below door guard.

Sometimes, the placement of the old door guard isn't quite right and you have to adjust it to fit to the door tongue.  Of course, I am learning this I go.
So now that you have the background... I started to install the knob to my bedroom, screwed in the door tongue, felt pleased with the job and shut the door to test and see if the tongue placement worked with the door guard placement.  The door clicked into place and confirmed that it was a perfect match! So, I proceed to pull on the door to then attach the knob itself. Its then that I realize, I can't pull the tongue part in without a knob.  For 5 minutes, I wiggle the tongue around, trying to figure out how to release the door. I pulled out my screw driver and tried to be creative- in my mind, considering the ole-break-in-with-a-credit-card trick.  Well, I grew frustrated and slightly scared.  So- I called Stu, my bro who lives around the block.  I explained that I had in fact locked myself in my room and needed assistance.  He laughed and passed the phone to his roommate, Cliff, who got the same story and gave me the same reaction.  Finally, Cliff suggested I "sit tight" and he'd come let me out in the morning.  I hung up with renewed passion and vigor.  I jammed a tool I had into the door jam where the tongue and guard meet and to my [extreme] surprise, the door popped open. So now this event turned from, "wow- this is kindof scary, how will I get out?" to "did I really just create that dumb moment for myself!?"

So.... now you know...I am human.  

No comments:

Post a Comment