9.28.2010

Dream Center.

Well, I made it home safe and sound. It's a good thing- being back on the east coast.  But let me just say, this trip was wonderful.  I think it was just what I needed for this exact point in my life.  Though I was only gone five days, the five days were packed and definitely led to a roller coaster of emotions for me.
Stevens Creek crew in front of the Dream Center [missing 2 members]
The week was a lot to process & throughout, I took the time to email a best friend [Melanie] all I was witnessing.  I am going to share some of those emails, just to give the details...
Day 1: I am a little overwhelmed. We just finished our street ministry downtown. I can honestly say it was nothing like I've ever experienced. Most people were stoned and drunk. No place to live. But they were all lost. And searching for a greater purpose. We prayed with people that would let us. Mom was precious introducing herself to people. Morgan was deep and spiritual. Dustin was right at home. I liked encouraging them and telling them their smile was beautiful. But- man, these people were just intense. 
Besides that. I saw the biggest rats I've ever seen. Like. The size of cats. It was seriously like nothing else. Mom and I both had extreme reactions to the creatures that were running around. Goodness me. I will never get that image out of my mind. And these people were curled up sleeping on the same street. Can you imagine??


Day 2:  Man o man I wish I had more words for you tonight but I am spent. It has been such a full day! We handed out food for bfast and lunch in Chinatown, rested for a bit and had this incredible church service. Crazy enough- I ran into someone from Lee! More on that later. Also for later- the homeless friend that prayed over dustin and I today.. You'll enjoy that story. 
But still- my heart is extremely heavy. God is moving that for sure. I feel like he is wrecking me of my comfort and challenging me to think bigger. 

Home to a sweet elderly lady near Chinatown. 
Day 3: Well my day is hard to put into words. We worked hard today. Loaded, unloaded, bagged, divided and served food from the food truck in 2 different locations. It was one of the heavier events I have participated in, but for different reasons. We gave out produce, fruit, chicken and grits. The people were completely lined up by the time we even arrived on site. They were mostly Hispanic and some Asian. And elderly or parents with small kids. These children were beautiful and simply broke me heart.
Bagging frozen chicken on the side of the road with the help of our little friend Ryan. 
At the second location I was so overcome by the presence of God I just began to pray over the site while we were bagging (which was a major task. The chicken was frozen and near impossible to break up and bag. Yes. We were handling raw chicken on the side of the road). Soon, all I could manage was simply saying the name of Jesus. Jesus, Jesus, Jesus. Thank goodness for big shades because you know the tears began to fall.
Well, we were able to feed all the families that came through but it sure was tiresome and hectic. 
And tonight we went to skid row again. I'm telling you- there are no words for the poverty I experienced out there. Hundreds of people. Living on the street. Drugs, drinking, prostitution, mental illnesses, urine, rats, trash...and people from all walks of life... 
I met this one couple, both beautiful people dressed well. He was deaf and she interpreted for him. They have been married 13 years. But money difficulties brought her to the point of staying in the woman's shelter and him waiting outside til morning for her. The situation is heartbreaking. 
Anyway. I am ending this day with exhausted emotions. I will never be the same again.

Day 4: [I didn't email this day... but I'll recall what I can].  This day we participated in adopt-a-block.  The team went into an under resourced area, handed out food, played with children, and went door to door, building relationships.  Typically, I don't enjoy the door to door "evangelism"...but God did a work in me this day.  It seemed every door we went to had children that lived there.  Beautiful children that didn't seem to have a father figure around.  There was a 1 year old boy staying with his grandma... he crawled right to me, and as I lifted him in my arms, the grandma warned me that he was a mess.  She wasn't kidding...his diaper practically hung to the floor full [for who knows how long].  My heart broke.  He was so eager- just to be held- by a stranger. Another home clearly had a mother, a 12 year old girl, an 8 year old boy, and a 2 month old... As I held this infant [girl], it became clear that the child actually belonged to the 12 year old girl... goodness, even writing this, I am overcome with tears. I learned later the level of danger that we were actually in while in the neighborhood...in the midst of drug dealers and gang type violence...

So what am I taking away from this trip?  Compassion- for those who don't have the means to live safely and fully. An eagerness to find a way to impact children without consistent parent figures in their life.  A desire to share with the needy. A boldness to be more excited and open with my faith. An appreciation and joy for the friends and family I have.
Venice Beach, California



No comments:

Post a Comment