10.22.2012

IKEA Hack

As you may know, I've been slowly working to make my house a home.  Now that I've lived here for 2 years, I'd say there has been some great progress... of course, one project at a time.  

So after finishing the kitchen update - I began the search for affordable bar stools.  I happened across these on a visit to Ikea and without much thought, went for them! [Ingolf, white, $69]
After a few months of having them around, I noticed that the tops of the chairs were getting scratched and little spots of paint would be missing.  [Now, I must take full responsibility for this.  I used the chairs during the cabinet painting process and I believe the hinges dug into the chairs.  My error.]
How to fix this?!  With a lovely seat cushion of course! So the search for cushions began. Unfortunately, after a few mispurchases, I could NOT find the right size anywhere! Then one night, it finally hit me.  DIY. 

I found some great outdoor fabric at Hancock.  Perfect for wiping clean and resisting spills.  I believe I bought 2 yds or so?  $14 worth.  

 I also purchased this sheet of foam.  For cost purposes, I went with the one inch thickness.  Again... about $14 worth of foam.
As you can tell, I removed the chair seats and traced the outline onto the foam & cut.


With my handy dandy staple gun, I covered each seat...nothing fancy.  And...Ta Da!!

I actually covered 4 chairs.  At around $30 worth of supplies and probably 30 minutes worth of assembly time, I love how this project turned out :)

Be inspired.


2 comments:

  1. I kind of lost track of your blog....actually ANY blog because of time, etc... But I just had to comment on this post. LOVE the fabric, LOVE the finished product! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you get fabric to look so neat in the notch at the back corners? Am just about to embark on same project so need every hint you can give.

    ReplyDelete